This week we started our pilot test with Clifton Hills. It was really neat how this all came together. For starters, the school needed 20 tablets, and we just happen to have exactly 20 tablets on hand. What is even more interesting about this fact is that we had actually been slowly acquiring tablets in preparation to donate them to the school without any indication on how many we needed. And in the mean-time, we were using them at events such as the Chattanooga & New York Maker Faire. Anyways, we had actually acquired 21 tablets, but we found out a couple days prior that one stopped working. So, we ended up having exactly 20 tablets at the exact time the school needed 20 tablets. Secondly, we ended up piloting with one of the very first people in education I met on our first prototype day. This was at hacknooga and it was really just the beginning of devLearn, back when it was just at the idea stage. Then, I found out on the first day of our pilot that she helps updates some of the school sites and has experience with HTML. This is really helpful to us. Especially, with the younger kids, as even though the app is designed to self-taught, kids will definitely have questions. It’s just great to work with someone that loves what they do, and is always on the lookout for ways to their classroom and the classrooms of others. Lastly, we are still getting started with the pilot, but I’m always stressed about is the app too challenging or too difficult. So, it’s been encouraging to see that even though it can be difficult for some of the younger kids, that they are always so positive and they actual do try it out several times until they get it right. It’s definitely not a Nintendo, but actually, nearly all of the kids say they want to keep using the app.
Anyways, we’ve been working hard programming too. This week we tweaked the app to work on smaller phones that have smaller displays, tweaked the sign-up error messages, fixed a pretty bad memory leak, implemented additional fixes, and implemented a coming soon page for additional languages. We still have more work to do on our CSS language, but we are really looking to make our first release on the Google Play Store later this month.